Sunday 19 August 2007

Laundry


As I have been in Scotland over a week, inevitably it was time to do laundry. I was worried about doing such (for good reason), as the washer/ dryer combo unit is not common in the states. Well, I read through the directions manual (as the controls on the unit are only letters, and do not indicate meaning), I gave it a shot. After 2 hours, I was wondering what the status of my clothes were, so I stopped the dryer to check - they were still wet. It took at least another hour before they were reasonably dry. The problem was, everything was wrinkled! Most things didn't matter, and I could get the wrinkles out, but my dress shirts were a different story. As you can see in the picture, they looked like they were in a tight ball and left like that do dry. These wrinkles were so bad, that I could not iron them out, so I had to start the process over again for a few shirts. The shirts are now ironed and in the closet, but this was a 6+ hour process and they still are not sharp as I would like.

My second load of laundry ended with a better result (mainly because I didn't fill the drum as full), but overall these washers/ dryers are ridiculous. There are two basic problems; 1. The drum size (too small) 2. Drying Technology (the heat does not vent, so air flow and heat are minimal).

Bottom Line - Now I understand why you see many people around the UK hanging up there clothes (inside or outside) to dry.

1 comment:

Jessica G. said...

I can't wait to join in on the "fun" of laundry! I think we will be looking for a laundry mat!